You thought I’d forgotten! I have not. You are always on my mind and you have been asking for this, I know. I was just trying to get together what I actually thought about what we are all going to wear and then trying to track down suitable examples.
Here we go.
Every day wear if you’re on the back foot, otherwise compromised or just can’t be bothered.
I’ve got good news! You can slop about all summer in a pair of denim shorts, espadrilles and a t-shirt or shirt and feel perfectly fashionable.
I cannot stress enough the importance of a linen shirt this summer. Wear oversized and loose with crappy old denim shorts, espadrilles and a panama hat for fuck-you-I’m-tired chic. Wear your real/fake Gucci belt as a sort of visual gag.
Shirts: I have this one from Rails , which I have banged on about before. It is very expensive but it is hands down the best and most useful, loved thing that I own. Dupes are available from Gap and Uniqlo. Not quite as soft but also not quite as expensive.
If things are really bad e.g. you have very small children, to update yourself fast without having to set foot in a changing room, get a pair of round sunglasses, a hat, (or Anthropologie has some great ones for less) a tie-dye t-shirt and a few jaunty scarves for round your straw bag handle, in your hair, round your neck – whatever.
Boyfriend jeans are still fine. Good luck, comrade.
Your 1 dress
I still maintain that the only dress you actually need in the summer – however many children you have, whatever life stage you are, is something loose and black. That’s the only one you need for every day wear when it is stinking hot. It might not be the only one you want but it’s the one you need. Are you with me?
There are a billion great examples around at the moment.
If you have half a mind to get your legs out this summer, (I definitely do. I am not doing a punishing hour of barre a week for nothing), then this little black mini dress from H&M is delightful. It’s one of those dresses that you can treat like absolute shit, spill things down, sweat in, chuck on the floor then put it back on and it looks fine.
If you want to push the boat out, this black shirt dress from Maison Maillot is the dream.
I am also a huge fan of this by Me + Em if you don’t mind getting your shoulders out. Like everything in the Me + Em store, this will be cut beautifully and not crease and basically last forever.
Don’t for god’s sake make life hard for yourself by getting anything with spaghetti strips or that requires complicated underwear.
We are blessed at the moment with a modesty movement and there are many voluminous dress options that make it easy to wear a sturdy bra and those pants.
Take advantage of it before the inevitable stripper-chic renaissance, like something foreseen in the book of Revelation.
The one thing you Must. Not. Forget with a black dress is your accessories, as the dress cannot really be left to speak for itself.
Belts, that hat I mentioned, those scarves I mentioned, earrings, nail varnish… more is more. Gold and brown I find work best. And don’t be shy with the fake tan. As you know I am 90% fake tan and the other 10% sheer panic. At the moment I am using Tan Luxe and find it superb.
Your Other Dress
I am a sucker for a lampshade dress at the moment – you know what I mean? Just a circle of material, really. H&M are doing some amazing ones at the moment. I’ve got two. Size well down. I take an XS. My friend Sue calls them “all-you-can-eat dresses”. Amen!
Your Other Dress could also be a prairie-style job. I like a new brand called Pink City Prints. They come up very big so size down. I have also suddenly fallen in love with this big check dress from Asos.
Your long skirt
You are possibly already doing this look – a long skirt, a shortish t-shirt and a pair of trainers. Leather or denim jacket, weather permitting.
You all thought that my Allbirds looked orthopaedic but I have not taken them off for six months and have put them through the wash about 12 times and they have come up lovely.
Anyway if you’re not doing a long skirt and think that might be a good idea there are tons around. Pink City Prints, (them again – not being paid!), does one that goes right down to the floor if a midi-length is not for you. I rather fancy this one as a slightly more subtle take on the ubiquitous leopard-print skirt.
Your Other Trousers
I only mean trousers that are not jeans. Perhaps something like this from Hush? Or these wide-leg chinos from Jigsaw via JLP? Or, look, these are cute. If you’ve got culottes or chinos from my previous instructions, they’re good to go for another summer. Maybe treat yourself to a new white t-shirt to go with it.
And of course one last thing… do not forget your gold hoops! It’s got to be Tilly Sveaas. Love that girl.